Saturday, August 13, 2005

MORE BLACK TO COMM!

I just got a couple of back issues of this fine magazine in my mailbox the other day. I've reviewed the last issue a while ago and it goes without saying that if you really are one of those rock 'n' roll freaks who lives for the blast and blair of kick ass, bone crunching music, then you really ought to be buying this magazine.
This magazine is devoted to the Velvets/Stooges/MC5/New York Dolls/Dictators worship that is really the standard for rock 'n' roll. If your one of those new heavy metal types you probably don't want to bother with this mag, because you ain't gonna see much you'll like, and would most likely be better off sticking with your subscription to Hit Parader and Metal Edge. If your a politically correct type who wants to save the Spotted owl, thinks the "Summer of Love' had any real relevance to anything, and believe in the Meat is Murder line of thinking, then this magazine is probably even less for you. These types should stick to Rolling Stone or Spin.

However if you really get your rocks off by experiencing "High Energy" music, and enjoy trash culture and all of the greatness that it had, and has to offer then you really need to be plunking down the money to own some issues of this beloved rag.

I just received issues #17 and #19. As expected these mags live up the the standard that I've come to expect from this zine. Miriam Lina is interviewed in #19. She, an ex-member of the Cramps, and she currently drums for the A-Bones, a band that everybody should be playing their records at their next beer bash.
#17 does a feature on the Scott Morgan Group, formerly of the Rationals. Drummer for the Scott Morgan Group was none other than "Rock Action" himself Scott Ashton, formerly of you know what group (and if you don't, then you really should be reading Black To Comm).

The articles, interviews, reviews are all top notch as far as I'm concerned. I read these things cover to cover when I get them and they stand up to repeated readings and they don't get dated. I certainly can't say I feel the same way about most of the issues of Rolling Stone that I have.( there's only a couple of issues that have an interview that I may reread and still find it entertaining, provided, I found it that way in the first place). I don't even thumb through Rolling stone in the store anymore. That thing has become such a corporate shill sheet. The last straw for me was in their list of 500 greatest songs; John Lennon's "Imagine" came in at number three. That song is one of the most boring, weak ass, pieces of shit ever, and they rate it at number three. Did the Stooges have a song on their list? Probably not.

Anyway, my point is that Black To Comm really hits the spot in as far as gulcher is concerned. I'm interested in almost every thing I read on every page in this thing. It's good I'm tellin' ya. So unless you're a hippy you should buy this total rock 'n' roll blast of a mag. If you are a hippy, you probably don't want the people involved with this magazine to have your address.
Look up the address on the old post where I previously talked about this mag, or ask for the address and I'll get it to those interested. Later friends.

p.s. I have nothing against the Spotted Owl, but as far as I'm concerned. those guys are on their own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home