Saturday, May 28, 2005

DEE DEE AND THE DETROIT COBRAS

Two new platters, well new to me anyway, that are on deck for review.

DEE DEE RAMONE-ZONKED
A post- Ramones effort here from Dee Dee who many consider to be the best songwriter of the Ramones. In actuality you have Marky Ramone doing the drum chores so you really have one half of the Ramones here. On this platter Dee Dee switches from bass to guitar and some vocals. Linning out the rest of the line up is Daniel Ray on guitar and Barbara Ramone on bass.

If you like the Ramones (and why wouldn't you) then you would probably like this although it isn't completely Ramones soundalike. I think that this album has pretty strong stuff on it. The thing starts of with "I'm Zonked Los Hombres" and it is basically the perfect tune to start hits off. Great guitar riff, kind of tough sounding, makes you want to move around the room. The song "Fix Yourself Up" bounces around like a bunch of sugered up six year olds on a trampoline.
Joey Ramone shows up to do the vocals on "I Am Seeing UFO'S". So here you've got 3/4's of the Ramones. The song is good pop/punk definitely in a Ramones vein. Joey wrapping his vocal style around the dumbhead, lyrics (not an insult here) fit perfectly. I am seeing ufos/I guess it's because/I had a hard time out with you last night. Joeys vocals fit like the proverbial glove. And if the words don't make sense to you, the sentiment, feeling, and emotion of this song hit home. You have felt like this before and this song will bring a smile to your face when the connection is made. I can't explain it, just trust me.
Lux Interior even steps up to the mik for the song "Bad Horoscope". Lux was a good choice as this could easily have been a Cramps tune Or maybe Iggy Pop in one of his finer post-Stooges moments.
Barbara Ramone does vocals on a few tunes. Her vocals exude a great tough chick attitude and she looks extremely cute in the band photo.

This album is one of those that had I known about it, or in the case of this album, had it existed back in my high school era, would have been played on a regular basis. It would have been taped onto a cheap cassette, and blasted it from my car tape deck while cruising around trying to evade the blues and boredom of high school existence.


THE DETROIT COBRAS-MINK RAT OR RABBIT
This album seems to be comprised of all covers and the band does do a great job of making these songs there own. The singer Rachel Nagy's vocals combine both a subtle sexuality and toughness that work very well for me.
There version of "Putty In Your Hands)" is great. Driving riff and perfect vocals(at least from a male or lesbian point of view). The first version of this song I ever heard was by the Yardbirds. These guys do a different take, and dare I commit blasphemy and say that I like this version better. At least at this moment in time.
"Easier to Cry" is a nicely executed ballad with some very nice guitar work provided by Steve Shaw and Maribel Restrepo.

"Bad Girl" a great piece of pop rock 'n' roll. This is a song written by the Oblivions, another band that I would recommend checking out. Other songs like "Summer(The Slum)" have great frenetic energy to them, and the riff of this song is like a wave of .heart punches from whatever bad ass pro wrestler you care to name. The song "Chumbawa" is a tasty instrumental with a definite south of the border feel. This could be great background music for partying on the beach, getting drunk on tequila. The song makes me want nachos and Margaritas.

Overall the music on this thing slithers and slides around, yet at the same time is tight and controlled. Imagine being in a closet with a heavily oiled up, nymphomaniac that is expert in extracting all the right reactions. The more I play this thing the better I like it. If you are cool and have any taste at all I think you'll feel the same way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home