Saturday, August 06, 2005

MC5-KICK OUT THE JAMS DVD

I got this thing in the mail a couple of days ago with my subscription to SCRAM magazine. The DVD was apparently some kind of merchandise that you could get from the newly resurrected CREEM magazine, since the mags logo is on the thing. First off this isn't exactly what I had thought it was going to be. It definitely is footage of the 5 in their hey day and the music is live; however, it is actually more of a video collage, rather than being an actual live concert.
That being said I still think this is pretty cool. The music is still live(some of it being almost impossible to hear the songs through the muddy quality) and seeing the band rockin' their nuts off is truly there stuff of legend.

This thing being put together by Carey Loren, it does have that psychedelic, late 60's art damage kind of look, which is what his other video stuff sorta looks like. (See Grow Live Monsters, a video art project from his band DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. That same group to consist of an ex-MC5 member, as well as an ex- Stooge later on.)

The real complaint that I have about this thing is that a number of the songs are cut in the middle of them. I'm not sure why. But some of the songs are completely there, at least enough of the song for me not to completely notice.

The footage of the band , as I've already said is great too see. They were in no uncertain terms, a band to be reckoned with. They were noted for on occasions, having the headline act refuse to go on after them, being unable too match the power, energy, and frenzy laid down by those motor city bad asses.
Greatness indeed. Now if there was some actual concert footage out there; which there is at least something. I know because I remember seeing a vidoe of KICK OUT THE JAMS before on some show like RADIO 1990 or NIGHT FLIGHT. Shows that were on the USA Network back in the early 80's. That channel was very cool back then, I loved NIGHT FLIGHT, and who could hate something like MARTIAL ARTS THEATER. Uh oh, now I'm longing for the good ole days again. In fact it's hard to think, considering all the shit that passed for pop culture in the 80's that I would be reminiscing about it fondly. Oh well, there was some cool stuff going on in the 80's, not much, but some. (The great garage rock revival comes to mind.)

The thing that this DVD did after I watched was get me in to a big MC5 binge. I dug out all my records and CD's and got cought up in all the energy and sound once again. And it felt almost as good as when I first heard the MC5. I had gotten KICK OUT THE JAMS from a used record store after hearing about it from some friends older brother, and reading about it referenced in some rock mag. This thing really blew my mind and was immediately on a pedestal equal to, if not higher than almost everything I had been listening too previously. It was one of those watershed albums in my life that changed my perceptions of rock 'n' roll and led me on the greater listening pleasures of the stuff I currently love and obsess over. Hell, who knows if not for hearing the MC5,the STOOGES, and others of that ilk, I might have turned out to be a Motley Crue fan. I shudder to think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great Review, Shep. Like the Mc5 your review is honest and raw. I'd love to view it with you.

August 11, 2005 at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home