Friday, May 27, 2005

ROKY ERICKSON MOVIE

I heard some news that there are plans in the works to make a biopic about Roky Erickson. The story I have heard so far is that the plan is for Jack Black to play Roky, and that he is interested in doing this.
I don't have any more info than this at the moment and as far as I know this may just be rumor, but I hope it's true. Hopefully this will be more of a small studio or indepedent film. It seems unlikely that any of the Hollywood big wheels would want to touch something like this, and if they deemed to do so they would very likely ruin something that could end up being very cool.

If you don't know anything about Roky Erickson I feel sorry for you because you have been missing out on some very good music. He and his band the Spades got a hit in Texas which got him noticed enough to get into the 13th Floor Elevators. Many people consider this to be the band that actually started the psychedelic movement. The story is that these Texans toured around San Francisco in the early days and all of those bands from the area were influenced by the Elevators. True or not, I would think that many die hard Roky fans would shudder to think that he was possibly instrumental in the birth of bands like the GRATEFUL DEAD, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, or any other of the frisco hippie bands, since most Roky fans that I hear of are from the garage/punk side of the street and thus many would be sworn enemies of anything those filthy hippies hath wrought. But I am getting off topic now, and I normally like to go off on tangents that lead to who knows where, let's get back to the Rock.

I'm certainly no expert on the story of Roky Erickson and a movie that told a fairly factual story might be nice. But you have to ask, wouldn't a movie about the myth be more fun? Probably, I don't know. I mean I,liked the Doors movie that Oliver Stone did but lets face it, that movie was a work of fiction. At least if you can believe a lot of the people who were around for the events, who say the film ain't the way a lot of the shit happened.
Anyway, I hop this project will see the light of day, or I guess maybe more fitting, the dark of night.

If you are not familiar with Roky Erickson then you need to rectify that situation and you need to do it now. There is a lot of stuff actually available and your better music stores should be able to hook you up with something from the 13th Floor Elevators and/or his post-Elevators career. If not you can always check out the internet.
I would recommend the stuff to start with to be something like THE EVIL ONE or GREMLINS HAVE PICTURES. Then get into the live stuff, the album ROKY ERICKSON and the EXPLOSIVES-CASTING THE RUNES will obliterate.
Maybe I'll review some Roky stuff here in the coming days, and I'll hopefully have some more info about the movie.
I also hear that he has been appearing at places and doing two or three songs live. I think that his mental health has kept him from doing a lot of stuff for the past several years but I hope that all is going to be well.
GOD BLESS ROKY ERICKSON!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home