Monday, February 21, 2005

Rest In Piece-Hunter S. Thompson

Wow. Hunter S. Thompson kills himself Sunday night. Killed by self inflicted gunshot the story goes. Well, the guy was either gonna die from a gun, or a drug overdose, so I guess in a way this sort of fits in with the guys life. I would have to think that a lot of people out here in the blogosphere owe the man some kind of small debt. The guy pretty much created gonzo journalism and whether a lot of these people know it or not; of lot of bloggers are definitely following in the great gonzo tradition.

If you haven't read anything by the man then you definitely need to out and pick something up right now. My favorites are "Hell's Angels", "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail in '72", as well as what is truly a classic "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

I really loved this guys work and I would have to say that it did have a profound effect on my life when I was a young guy reading and absorbing his stuff. The guys wit, cynicism, and drug addled perception of life struck a chord with me and still do. It was even due to Mr. Thompson and his writings that I discovered the greatness of vodka and grapefruit juice. Something I would find it hard to get through many days without.

So many heroes of mine have been dying lately and it's really caused me to think about things. I mean Johnny, Dee Dee, and Joey Ramone are dead. Arthur "Killer" Kane dead. Now Hunter Thompson. I know that it may sound kind of trite; but these guys (and many more) had some significant impact on my life. These guys either with the music or their writings would reinforce a lot of the ways I felt about things, or how I thought about things. I never met any of the these guys but I really do miss them in ways. It seems strange to say that, but it really is true.
These guys all represent something in regards to my perspective on life, but more than that each one of them represents an era, a fragment of culture that really does seem to be disappearing from the world. Now I know that saying that makes me seem like a dinosaur and maybe I am, but I feel it's true. I'm not really trying to be depressing here, I actually don't feel depressed per say, just a little sad I guess. The times they are a changing. I guess I'll go out to the porch, sit in my rocking chair and drink a toast to the good ole' days.

Anyway, the next time you have a drink, raise a glass to one of the great gonzo's.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. You said "drug addled." Where have I heard that before?

February 21, 2005 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Btw, Bubbles didn't have a chance.

February 21, 2005 at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home