Sunday, January 09, 2005

HAIL TO THE KING

Well yesterday was Elvis' birthday and in memoriam I spent the day in a hazy fog. The kind that descends on the mind and body after a night of power drinking. I was up early and spent some time at work. Then it was home to the couch to relax and watch some football. After that I turned the tv to AMC where they were showing a bunch of Elvis movies. I've only recently got into Elvis after hearing his stuff on Sun records but I've never been a member of the cult; and I would still say that his musical output is spotty. However, as I sat there in a state of semi delerium, I watched a couple of his movies back to back; and as I watched I started to get what all of the big deal was about. I starterd to see beyond the movies and saw Elvis as that mythic being his disciples see him as. The pop culture messiah, dripping with cool. Hell, it was like I was having some kind of cosmic revelation. I was totally engrossed by these films. I now have this overpowering compulsion to go out and get a velvet oil painting of The King.

Maybe I should take a break from drinking so much?
........Nah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home