Wednesday, January 06, 2010

REVIEWS, REVIEWS, REVIEWS

Since the Grammys will be coming up soon it gets me to thinking about music. Actually it gets me thinking about good music. You know, the kind of music that the Grammys will completely ignore, opting instead to promote and honor all of the least common denominators and music business droids. So in honor of this prestigious event I have decided to discuss a few platters that ( as far as I know) have never received the award.
ELIAS HULK - UNCHAINED (BEAT GOES ON RECORDS)
Early 70's hard blues psych. Proto metal, stoner rock, that will conjure up images of guys with long, greasy hair, and glazed stares playing some seedy bar in some nowhere town. Great acid guitar, and the singer kinda sounds like Pete Townshend in places. The whole thing recorded in only a day or two (as it should be). The cover is pretty cool and makes me wonder if Marvel Comics ever tried to sue these guys? Although there sub - unknown status and lack of money making would, I guess answer the question.

FLAMING GROOVIES - TEENAGE HEAD (BUDDHA RECORDS)
An anabolic and amphetamine speed ball fueled stomp blast by these California born and bred monsters. The Groovies shed their musical skins a couple of different times through their career. This period is my favorite, although I do like their later power pop phase as well. Roy Loney, Cyril Jordan, and the boys lay down a high energy groove that has one foot in early 70's Rolling Stones, and the other foot in Charlie Feathers. This disc will take you where you want to go.




JESSE HECTOR - GORILLA GARAGE: THE JESSE HECTOR STORY(RPM RECORDS)
This disc gives you an overview of the musical life of Jesse Hector with his various bands and whatnot. This thing delivers on a lot of fronts; glam, proto punk, proto metal, garage, and rockabilly. It's all there in Jesse Hectors music wrapped in all of its high energy glory. Crushed Butler, The Hammersmith Gorillas, and other of his bands are here. When listening to this I find it impossible to understand how anyone can give a crap about stuff like Breaking Benjamines, Buck Cherry, or whoever it is now days that is supposed to be getting out the jams. This music is the real crash and smash that you need, owing a lot to the Who, Mott the Hoople, T-Rex, and Jimi Hendrix. The song "Carolina" alone will probably add 10 years to your lifespan. In fact, in these dark days where everything has become permeated with abysmal dross, this disc will save your life. WHAT ARE YA DOING STILL READING THIS? GO GET IT.

3 Comments:

Blogger T.Church said...

Sweet sweet stuff... Great reviews, and you are right about the grammys.

I have the Groovies, but send me the Elias Hulk and J Hector immediately.

January 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Jenny Lens said...

I lost my Flamin' Groovies negs, when they opened during the Ramones LA debut, the Roxy, Aug 11-12, 1976. I am pea green with envy you have these great releases. I love your writing.

Gooseneck turned me onto you.

PS My very first published photo was in Back Door Man. I have huge affection for what they all did. Very proud they were my friends and I was a contributor.

Jenny Stern, however. Wasn't Jenny Lens til later summer 77, and in print awhile later.

Cheers!

PS Your take on Rock Hall matches mine. I could have photos in it if I tried. Can't be bothered. Maybe someday.

January 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger Shep said...

Jenny, thank you for the kind words and thanks for reading my humble blog.
I really like your work, some very nice stuff.
I don't think the Groovies Teenage Head is too hard to come by,I've seen it here and there.

February 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home