Wednesday, December 16, 2009

MY WORTHLESS TAKE ON THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

You can blame Gooseneck over at The Bigfoot Diaries for getting me to think about this. I have never really given the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame much thought before. I never gave more than passing notice to past inductees, and even though there are bands I really love inducted, there are, of course, bands that I do not. No big deal. I never thought at the beginning of the HOF that bands like the Ramones, Velvet Underground, or the Stooges would ever have even been considered, let alone inducted. Yet the legend status of these bands is undeniable, and so they absolutely belong there. The thing is though, are bands like the Stooges being inducted because they are finally getting the respect they are due, or is it more for the fact that the RARHOF would have no credibility if it didn't have them. Yeah the Ramones are inducted, but don't you think the a bigger deal will be made when Green Day gets the nod? I do. So I think that you can conclude that it is the commercial success that has the most meaning to the people running the show. Okay that's life, and it's not surprising, but I always thought of rock and roll(I mean the real stuff) as the language of the other side. A primal blast that the corporate types with their marketing degrees will probably never understand.
Oh well, I'm glad for the band any way. It's really too bad that Ron Ashton isn't around to see this. I remember seeing a documentary where he said he thought the Stooges would have been the American Rolling Stones had they lasted longer. So he may have enjoyed this. I would also guess that with the Stooges being in, that the MC5 will have their day, but it's probably too much to hope for the Gizmos or the Mummies.
What about the Sonics?

1 Comments:

Blogger T.Church said...

...Or the Ape Men. It's a shame that the Ape Men will never see the lights of the Hall.

December 17, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home